Basics of Naturopathic Care
Our bodies have an innate ability to heal. When we cut ourselves, we don't need to think about our blood clotting and our tissue healing; when we eat, we don't need to think about our stomach and digestive system working to break down and absorb nutrients from food.
My role as your Naturopathic Doctor is to investigate barriers or obstacles to health -- be that a genetic concern, an infection, a hormonal or biochemical imbalance, a habitually destructive lifestyle or dietary habit, or something as objectively simple as "stress" -- and work with you to correct that imbalance and teach healthy choices for living well into your own age.
The cornerstones of Naturopathic care are a thorough health investigation and clinical assessment with nutrition and lifestyle counselling for every patient. Treatment is tailored to treat the root cause of your health concern.
Treatment is individualized and developed according to the needs of each patient.
Therapies and treatments used include:
- Nutrition & Lifestyle counselling
- Functional laboratory testing
- Psychological Counselling
- Acupuncture / Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Preventative medicine
- Vitamin, mineral and nutrient supplementation
- Herbal medicine
- Homeopathy, Homotoxicology & Psychosomatic Energetics
My aim is to use education, food, and movement (exercise and bodywork) as the basis of treatment as much as possible. When our bodies are in balance and receive proper exercise and nutrition, we don’t have a lot of need for supplements or drugs. However, I will always assess or request general blood work to examine parameters of health (body chemistry, hormone, neurotransmitter balance) and will prescribe supplements and vitamins/minerals as needed to help regain, support, and maintain wellbeing.
Laboratory and Functional Testing
Blood work and other laboratory testing helps us understand your individual biochemistry and highlights any imbalances that may require treatment. It can also provide an important tool for monitoring progress of treatment.
Laboratory testing that may be used include:
- Assessment of general blood work from your MD - eg. TSH/thyroid function, ferritin/iron, CBC, Cholestrol, etc.
- Hormone testing - including adrenal and cortisol/stress hormone testing; sex hormones
- Food allergy/sensitivity, IgG/IgE testing (eg. gluten sensitivity, celiac disease, candida)
- Hair metal analysis
- Environmental toxin assessment
- Parasite testing
- Neurotransmitter Assessment - balancing brain chemistry to optimize health
More lab testing available -- ask for more information.
We all know we hold tension in our bodies. This is exacerbated by sitting at a desk for work or long commutes in the car, muscular injury, habitual poor posture and shallow breathing. Bodywork, including massage, Bowen Therapy, Craniosacral Therapy, and acupuncture can help release stored muscular tension to help rebalance blood flow and nutrient supply to muscles, tissues and organs.
Dr. Lantz practices acupuncture, Craniosacral Therapy and is a certified Bowen Therapist and may incorporate bodywork into your treatment plan as needed or requested.